Friday, April 20, 2012

The Premise: 12 months, 12 Diets



So my great plan for self improvement didn't really gel that well, not for lack of willpower so much as lack of focus.

I learned basic Spanish, but got easily distracted. I wrote every week for a while, but soon reverted to review writing only which comes in fits and starts, and didn't really get off the ground in the exercise stakes mostly because I find exercise really, really dull.

A few weeks ago though I read an article about how sugar was poison and evil and in everything, and while I didn't agree with the premise I was curious to see how I would survive without it. So I decided after Easter that I would try life Sugar Free for one month and see how that goes - I will probably lose weight, and I will probably go nuts for sugary stuff afterwards and put it back on again - but mostly I wanted to know what it was like.

So my best motivation it seems is rabid curiosity and stubbornness.

So I started living Sugar Free from Tuesday 10th April 2012. The last thing I had was a Cadbury Creme Egg at 9 pm on Easter Monday, cold from the fridge.... mmm I can still almost taste it.



2 weeks in and while I'm fairly sure that the effects are somewhat psychosomatic, I feel lighter and healthier than I did two weeks ago. Wether this is a placebo effect because I believe I should feel a change or not is irrelevant, this is not trying to be scientific. I feel better - I'm accepting of that and don't care why so much as enjoying the feeling.

So then I was talking with a woman from my work who heard this diet where you eat whatever you want but you can't eat after 6 pm. Curious. Maybe I'll do that next thought I...

And there we have it 12 diets over 12 months, a new one each month.

The point is not to lose weight (though bonus as I probably will on most) or to prove one better than the other - but just because it seems like and interesting thing to do and I'm kind of stubborn enough to pull it off.

The Rules:  No stupid or harmful diets, like a water only diet, or remove all carbs (you do need some) or anything like that. Not going to worry if I accidentally consume something I shouldn't - but will consciously avoid the avoidey bits of the chosen diet for the month. I'll choose a diet based on it's interest to me, not on it's supposed efficacy and I'll mark any weight and attitude changes and any challenges in this blog as I go.

I'm almost two weeks in and I'm hungry.

Wayne.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome according to Wil Wheaton's Law