Friday, May 10, 2013

Favourite Diet Foods: Celery and Apple Salad w/Walnuts

Celery and Apple Salad w/Walnuts

At various stages through my dieting adventure people would ask me how hard and how painful it was dieting, as if the only food I could eat was plain, tasteless and more effort to eat.

Far from eating bland and tasteless food I actually rediscovered my taste-buds and change the way I looked at certain types of food, particularly the fresh variety.

Salads became less of a thing to dodge, to a filler with healthier meals, to a main course in it's own right. By the time I had made it to the Raw Food Diet month I had a number of salads I had eaten with frequency from my Vegan and Vegetarian phases, and had taken up a notch by transiting to totally Raw.

A few people have since been asking advice on what to eat when on certain diets and what my favourite recipes are, so with some help from my chief cook, designer and photographer here's one of my favourites.


celery and apple salad with walnuts

Ingredients
1 Cup celery finely chopped
1 granny smith apple chopped
spring onion finely chopped
1/2 Cup walnuts toasted
cos or iceberg lettuce to serve

Dressing 
3 Tbsp low fat mayonnaise 
3 Tbsp light caesar or ranch dressing
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
Combine dressing ingredients. 
Add to chopped celery, apple and spring onion, toss. 
Plate onto shredded or whole cos/iceberg lettuce leaves.
Top with toasted walnuts. 

(Obviously if you're going raw, don't toast your walnuts, go with raw) 
(Also can be bulked up with added diced leftover chicken, or small cubes of cheddar)

1 comment:

  1. A great post without doubt. The information shared is of top quality which has to get appreciated at all levels. Well done keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome according to Wil Wheaton's Law