Tuesday, April 30, 2013

3 weeks later - settling into a better rhythm



Back down to 84 kilos, my new goal is to stay as much as possible in the lower 80's - where I feel best and healthiest without resorting to excess ugly foods rich in sugar and fats.

That means a lifestyle change of sorts. Without resorting to a short term diet plan, or punishing myself with a long term (the idea of dieting with no end is depressing) diet, I have settled on the idea of a new lifestyle, one that serves the basic concepts of what I have learned about food and myself in the last year and makes a regular regimented schedule that is easy to maintain and allows me to enjoy food without guilt or excess.

The idea is, for the evening meals:

Red Meat - once a week.
Chicken - once a week
Fish - twice a week
Vegetarian - three times a week.

Some of the Recent Dishes for Lite Dinner



Evening meals should be low or no carb, leftovers (particularly carb ones) will be lunch the next day. So for example we had fresh Terakihi Fillets tonight with chips and a salad on the side. The kids ate fish and chips, I ate fish and salad, but will take leftover fillets and the chips to have for lunch tomorrow.

The plan also includes Intermittent Fasting which is a very good way to feel virtuous and in control of any days where I snack or eat a heavy meal, which I will undoubtedly do. On Tuesday and Thursdays I'll stick to the IF plan and basically have a fruit lunch (filling but lo cal) and then have a lite salad and/or grilled fish option for dinner.

Weekends are always going to be the hardest as during the work week it is easy to stick to a sensible plan and be far too busy to be snacking anyway. Fasting is incredibly simple when you are busy, but when you are home it's easy to lose focus and pick away at whatever is around, especially when the kids are grazing animals interested in a constant stream of small amounts of food and resisting meals wherever possible, as a strategy I know that will not work for me.

So there's the plan, weekends will be the upper end of my weekly bell curve, it will dip on the tues/thurs fasting combo and by having a porportional idea of what kind of food we will be eating, it will become second nature.

Now to see how well I can stick to this. It's more open ended and that's something I struggle with as a concept, but I just started getting new clothes and they fit me now, so I need to stay in this range to stick to my goal of never buying a 'size up' again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome according to Wil Wheaton's Law