Thursday, April 4, 2013

The New Plan - Day 12


The last few days to go.

83.0 - crawling towards my goal.

I did not achieve a fasting goal yesterday and instead consumed around twice what I should on a fast day - by inattention more than by intent. However I did eat more than expected but less than enough to gain weight.

I have been looking at the various figures for BMI and surprisingly even though there is a math to it - not guess work, a lot of the weight ranges vary when they should not.

So going back to the drawing board on BMI I find that there are two calculations available - which explains some of the confusion.

The original BMI which would put my target weight at 79 kilos and the Trefathen BMI (AKA New BMI) which is apparently more realistic and would put my target at 81.6 kilos.

Either way there is no real rhyme nor reason that shows causation to accept BMI in my opinion, it is a nice goal and statistically aligns with good health. As i have said before though, thats not math or science but common sense, that you can express it mathematically to a range and approximation still is not evidence that this magic number is in any way magical. (unless you equate magic with fiction - in which case it's just magical enough).

I hvae 1 more official fasting day on Tuesday and I am considering a replacement day for yesterday on Sunday. It's not necessary to do this, but there is some satisfaction in going out on my healthiest weight possible.

I feel no different or slimmer than I did say 20 kilos ago, which is interesting. People notice me getting thinner, but I have not really since last year. Gradual changes creep up on us I guess, and now that I have smaller clothes it seems less of a difference to me.

However 43 kilos, I know people who weight that much or less - and thats more than the combined weight of my children.

In 5 days time I'll start my new project of 1,000 words a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome according to Wil Wheaton's Law